The Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
The Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs provide incentive payments to eligible professionals, eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals (CAHs) as they adopt, implement, upgrade or demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR technology. Eligible professionals can receive up to $44,000 through the Medicare EHR Incentive Program and up to $63,750 through the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.
Participating In EHR?
The Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs provide incentive payments to eligible professionals, eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals (CAHs) as they adopt, implement, upgrade or demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR technology
Are you ready to begin participation in the EHR Incentive Programs? Here are some important steps to take:
- Determine your eligibility to participate in the Medicare and/or Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs.
- Prepare for registration.
- Register to participate in the Medicare and/or Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. You must register with CMS online.
- Determine certification of your EHR system. To determine if an EHR system is currently certified, view the ONC Certified Health IT Product List (CHPL).
- Meet meaningful use requirements and prepare for attestation.
- Attest that you have met the thresholds and all of the requirements of the Medicare or Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs.
- Retain proper documentation in case of an audit. Note: You may be audited prior to receiving payment.
Continue reporting meaningful use data every year, and avoid Medicare payment adjustments.
Important EHR participation dates* to keep in mind:
|December 31, 2015||End of 2015 calendar year and end of the 2015 reporting period for all providers|
|Jan 4 – Feb 29
||EHR Attestation period for Medicare providers|
|February 29, 2016
||Deadline to attest with Medicare for Medicaid providers that will not attest with Medicaid in order to avoid
The Medicare Claims Adjustment Penalty in 2017.
|April 15, 2016||The MS State Level Registry (MS SLR), our EHR Attestation System re-opens for Program Year 2015|
|June 30, 2016||EHR Attestation deadline for the 2015 program year|
|July 1, 2016||Hardship exception application deadline for Medicare provider to avoid the 2017 payment adjustment|
CMS Resources for Getting Started
The following resources will help you get started with your EHR Incentive Programs participation:
- Introduction to EHR Incentive Programs (Video)
- An Introduction to the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program for Eligible Professionals
- Stage 1 Medicaid EHR Incentive Program Participation Checklist